Monday, January 17, 2011

"Bill Everett Archives" news: Help with Scans needed! Earn free copies! 10% of royalties goes to The Hero Initiative!

This is going to be "Bill Everett Archives Week" as I look to finish off work on the collection that I'm editing of Sub-Mariner creator Bill Everett's 1938-1942 (non-Marvel) stories that have never been collected before.

And, as you can tell from the longest-Blog-Post-title-ever above, I need your help with scans from the original comic books or the collections will not see the light.

Do you have the comics listed below? If so (regardless of condition), please email me at ditko37@rogers.com (before scanning anything, please contact me for instructions; this is also to check if we've received worthy scans of a story already):

  • Amazing Adventures Funnies #1
  • Amazing Mystery Funnies v1 #1-3a, 3b; v2 #2-7, 18
  • Amazing Man Comics 5-11
  • Blue Bolt Comics v1 #4-11
  • Blue Bolt Comics v2 #1-3
  • Famous Funnies #85
  • (Reg'lar Fellers) Heroic Comics #1-9, 11-15
  • Keen Detective Funnies v2 #11, 20
  • Silver Streak Comics 20, 21
  • Target Comics v1 #1-9
  • Victory Comics #1, 2

As we did with the two volumes in the "Steve Ditko Archives" series from Fantagraphics, the pages of the comics are "rinsed" from the original source material. God blessed me with the material that I do have in the original comic-book form, but for a kid born in 1970, and rich only in wonder, purchasing these expensive books from the Golden Age of Comics was not my destiny. I instead found solace in microfiche, scans, photocopies and B&W stats.

There are enough Bill Everett stories from this period to make up two volumes if we find and scan all of them. Will you help? You will be rewarded if so. Contribute at least 5 pages and we'll send you a free copy. Contribute 10 pages and we'll send you two. Contribute 20 or more pages and we'll send three copies!

Help The Hero Initiative! As I am doing with my "Fire & Water: Bill Everett, the Sub-Mariner & the Birth of Marvel Comics" book, I am donating 10% of my royalties on the "Bill Everett Archives" to The Hero Initiative that helps comic-book artists going through financial struggles. So, let's help make these two volumes a reality for the worthy cause and to ensure these rare works of Bill Everett live on for future generations!

No comments:

Post a Comment